23 January 2011

Loving and Living in a Yurt

Tonight i can see beautiful things. For some reason i woke today with a buzz. Maybe it was allowing myself to sleep for 12 hours after a week of interrupted sleeping or maybe it was the meditation i did before bed listening to rain pouring (via spotify as i didn't have the luxury in this reality) and imagining warm evenings sitting with my feet up and reading a good book, who knows. It's been a positive buzz which has benefited my entire day.  Ive been organised, felt confident and best of all been inspired all day. 

Id like to dedicate this post to my love of yurts. For those of you who may not have come across this word here's a brief explanation; a yurt is a large tent like structure. More permanent than a tent a yurt tends to have wooden post on the inside or some sort of wooden/plastic/metal fencing to keep it in shape. This makes the structure incredibly strong. Yurts will usually have a wood burning stove inside for warmth and cooking. They can be used for holidaying or even living in. This summer my partner and i jumped in our camper van and visited his families land in the west coast of Scotland. We spent one of our nights in the yurt on their land and boy did i love it. Here are some pictures we took:





It got me thinking...wouldn't it just be lovely to live in yurt. It's atmosphere is cosy and warm. It encourages you to keep your belongings to a minimum and it offers an easy doorway to nature. Another major benefit of a yurt is how inexpensive it is compared to your average three bedroomed house and extremely eco-friendly. At some point in my life i will live in a yurt.





I wondered if this type of life could work with a family so i clicked around for someone living and loving the world of yurts and family life. I found this Three Joyful Pixies Blog. I'm hooked. I have a deep issue with this cultures way of promoting isolation and wish more people would live in smaller communities, maybe yurts, live off the land, be kinder to themselves and the earth and get that essence of community back. 

So what now. Now i explore and listen to my soul when it connects to ideas. Eventually ill be taking myself to New Zealand where I'm going to explore such communities and see what i can learn from them.

Love from this joyful pixie
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment